Today's lunch is "Paruppu Keerai".
That's in Tamil.
Its a simple curry made with Green Leaf, Amaranthus Tritis (Arai Keerai in Tamil) and Toor dal (Split Pigeon Peas) but full of protein and all else in the greens!
Personally I hate eating green leafy stuff. But now I have to eat them atleast for the sake of the baby!
Here's how to make it:
Onion - 1 or 2 Big as per choice ( Chopped )
Garlic - 2 pods ( 1 for dal, and 1 chopped)
Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
Amaranthus Tritis ( or any spinach) - 1 bundle
Powder of cumin seeds and pepper - 1 spoon
Oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves ( split black gram ) - lil of each
Dried Red Chillies - 2 or 3
1. Boil toor dal along with 1 garlic , 2 -3 pinches or turmeric powder, 1 pinch of Asafoetida in a pressure cooker. Mash into a paste. Then add some water to get a batter like consistency and set aside.
2. Chop them small and wash them to remove sand and set aside.
3. Take a pan, pour 2 small spoons of oil, and when it gets hot, add the mustard seed.
4. When the mustard seeds crackle, put the dried red chillies, urad dal and curry leaves, and wait til tey turn slightly brown.
5. Now put the chopped garlic and saute til it gets cooked ( less than a minute.
6. Put the chopped onions and saute till it becomes translucent and startes turning brown.
7. Put the chopped green leaves, and keep sauteing till they get cooked. Some greens make give out water while cooking. So keep sauteing til the water evaporates ( by choice). Do not cover so that some toxins can escape.
8. Now throw in some cumin-pepper powder, and saute for a min.
9. Pour the batter like dal mixture prepared earlier into the pan, mix well. Add salt to taste and bring to boil.
10. Serve with hot rice!!!
I am getting a green variety which is close to this in Seoul.
I think I’m being stalked.
5 days ago